These Hong Kong travel tips are here to help make your holiday much more enjoyable. It is always a smart and safe idea to know what to expect prior to traveling to a new country.
Top 10 Hong Kong Travel Tips
Whether you are American or EU passport, below are useful some useful tips to make the best of your Hong Kong holiday.
- If you are a U.S. or E.U. citizen you do not need a travel visa for Hong Kong, but your passports should be valid for at least 6 months after your expected travel. If you travel outside of Hong Kong, you will need to obtain a travel visa.
- The wettest months in Hong Kong are May through out July, with the hottest month being July.
- If you are only staying for 3 days or less, stay in Central on Honk Kong Island. The most popular Hong Kong sites are easies to get to from here. For more information, read best Hong Kong hotels.
- The currency used in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong Dollar. $1 USD is about $7.76 Hong Kong Dollars.
- The main language spoken in Hong Kong is English and Cantonese
(Hong Kong was a British Colony until 1997).
- The further into the Kowloon side of Hong Kong you go, the less people seem to speak or understand English.
- Taking a cab is the easiest mode of transportation, and readily available. They are metered rates, so you don’t have to worry about getting ripped off. Had some of the best moments in Hong Kong in a taxi. Be aware, a taxi can decline your fare, depending on where you want to go.
- The Star Ferry is the easiest, cheapest and quickest way to cross Victoria Bay, going from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon.
- Take advantage of Central–Mid-Levels Escalators when in Central or SOHO on Hong Kong Island. Since this side of Hong Kong is built up Victoria Peak, you are climbing steep streets in extremely hot and humid conditions.
- If you are new to Hong Kong, a city of skyscrapers and malls, then you should know most restaurants are inside these malls.