Dubai is located in the United Arab Emirates , which is a fairly conservative yet westernized Muslim country in the Middle East. If traveling to Dubai for the first time it is a good idea to know what to expect. Below is a list of the top Dubai travel tips, so that you can have a smooth vacation.
Dubai Travel Tips – Most important things to know
- What to wear in Dubai? Be respectful and dress more conservatively; cover shoulders and knees, avoid body con dresses, and clothes that reveal a lot of cleavage.
- Bathing suites and bikinis at the beach or at a pool are good, however coverup when going through hotel lobbies and walking to and from the beach.
- Alcohol is on the expensive side, and typically found only at high end restaurants and hotels. If you are planning to layout on the beach with a drink, you will have to go to a private hotel beach or beach club.
- UBER and Taxis are available and both are pretty equal in price.
- The city is quite sprawling, and traffic can be terrible from mid day through the evening.
- The metro is brand new, efficient and can take you from the Dubai Marina to the Mall of Dubai
- The palm is quite isolating, so people who stay on the Palm usually tend to no leave the Palm. It is about a 30 minute drive from the Dubai Marina to the Atlantis on the Palm. There are also a metro stops.
- A top all inclusive resort is a must if staying on the Palm in Dubai. For more of the top places to stay, read about the best Dubai hotels.
- If you hold a US or EU passport you do not need a travel visa when visiting Dubai.
- It will cost you about $22 USD and 35 minutes for a taxi ride from the airport to the Dubai Marina area.
- You can drink water from the tap
- The currency exchange is $1 USD = 3.67 Dirhams